View Single Post
Old 07-11-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
Question Copyright of derivative works from archive.org?

I have downloaded a book from Archive.org that was scanned by Microsoft. I have taken time to proofread and attempt to match the original book as closely as possible in the production of a Mobipocket book. I've even included the scanned copy of the cover for the cover of the book. I've already spent about a week or so on this and have a decent product. I've already corrected perhaps a thousand or two OCR errors and I intend on further proofreading and figure it will take me about another week of my personal time. In other words I have put a lot of effort into creating a quality product for my own personal use.

Near the front of the book Microsoft added the following: "Digitized for Microsoft Corporation by the Internet Archive in 2008. From University of California Libraries. May be used for non-commercial, personal, research, or educational purposes, or any fair use. May not be indexed in a commercial service." and at the bottom of every page, except the front and back covers, it states: "Univ Calif - Digitized by Microsoft ®"

The book itself is in the public domain and as far as I can tell you can not buy a copy of the book. Would it be legal for me to sell this copy on Amazon.com or some other ebook website or am I limited (or even allowed) to giving it away on a site such as this?

I know that if I owned a copy of this book and had scanned it in myself that there would be no question that I could do this, but given the source of the scans I don't won't to violate someone's rights, especially Microsoft. Not that I have any respect for Microsoft , but I don't want to tangle with their lawyers.

Thanks,
Etienne66
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote