View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 10:05 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna View Post
I am looking for some nice workaround to deal with translated books. Sometimes I have two or three language versions of the same book and I would like to be able to easily pick the one I need and know what languages I choose from.

I was thinking about a custom "Original title" column (but this would mean a lot of work, and does not seem very practical because in many cases it would just mean having the same information stored twice in the database).

I could obviously just add some info to the Comments field (my dream would actually be to link to the book from there - that's the feature I am dreaming about, cross-referencing and linking to various books).

I could probably set up some custom series column and treat all translations of a given book as a series.

I could probably do some other kinds of things so I'm basically looking for some advice and inspiration before I start testing my own ideas one by one and go crazy .

Some additional information about my database:

Books with multiple language versions take up ca. 5-10% of my library. Usually there are two language versions for one book, in rare cases there are three. I have books in four languages in total (and most probably there is going to be one more soon if I decide to brush up my language skills) and there are almost all possible combinations of source and target languages... Plus books that were translated from some languages I don't know (and sometimes I have two translations of such books - but I'm not really interested in keeping the original titles in the languages I don't understand).
There is a Language column, so setting that different for each book would mean that the book is NOT considered a 'duplicate', but a separate title.

The Tag Browser has a Language section.
click the tag you want, then hold the ctrl key and select the language
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote