View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 01:37 AM   #647
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
More experimentation.

Lessons learned:
-KPW has a deep, dark, secret. It modifies the built-in fonts with stylesheets and messes with the line gap.
-KPW will not display custom kerning on custom fonts in AWZ3 formatted books.
-It is a PITA to fiddle repeatedly with individual glyph spacing to improvise what kerning would do more elegantly

I have taken the extracted Caecilia fonts, added weight to them, auto-spaced the glyphs, and then modified individual glyph spacing (ie. w, v, m, n, r, i, f, y) to produce improved fonts for my reading preferences.

Legend:
Caecilia_Size2.png = built-in KPW Caecilia font displayed with secret styling
CaeciliaExtracted_Size2.png = unmodified Caecilia font displayed without secret stying
CaeciliaModified_Size2.png, CaeciliaModified_Size3.png & CaeciliaModified_Size5.png are all screenshots of my modified fonts.

Of particular note, CaeciliaModified at size 3 shows the same amount of words as the built-in Caecilia at size 2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Caecilia_Size2.png
Views:	259
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	101584   Click image for larger version

Name:	CaeciliaExtracted_Size2.png
Views:	231
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	101585   Click image for larger version

Name:	CaeciliaModified_Size2.png
Views:	246