View Single Post
Old 10-06-2019, 10:18 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Or switch to Linux. Win 10 is a huge backward step from XP and Win7.
We do have win10 on one desktop and one tablet with keyboard dock. We also have Win98, XP and Win7 on some old machines for compatibility, things that don't work on a VM.
The everyday OS on everyone's laptops is Linux Mint with Mate Desktop. My wife has an XP VM on Linux for one game that won't install on Win7 or Win10. Some old windows programs (anything with VB RS232 widget) won't run on any 64 bit windows, but are fine on 32 bit WINE on Linux, not even needing a VM (even a USB based RS232 port on Linux maps perfectly to COM1 etc for any Windows program working on WINE or a VM).

QT has issues on Linux. Viber uses it and on SOME 1920x1080 screens it thinks a high DPI screen is in use and you have to add a 0.5 scale in an environment setting or else Viber won't fit on the screen!

I think it was bad when Nokia bought Trolltech and most the original QT developers left.
I disagree. Linux is not a replacement for Windows. Windows 10 works well. I have it installed on three different computers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote