View Single Post
Old 10-04-2019, 07:49 PM   #19
haertig
Guru
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Apple rolled out their first 64 bit machine in 2006. The last 32 bit machine was discontinued in 2010, almost 10 years ago. Yea, it's not out of character for Apple to drop support 32 bit a decade after the last 32 bit machine.
I thought I was clear before, but maybe not. I am talking about dropping support of 32-bit software, which is entirely different from dropping support of 32-bit hardware

I agree with you - if someone is still running on 32-bit hardware, then it is appropriate to recommend that they simply not upgrade the OS.

But in the case of software, we are talking about a 32-bit program ... Overdrive ... that is not available in 64-bit. This is not something that a user is going to be able to fix. And it really is not appropriate, IMHO, to tell users that they simply should not update the OS in this case. Sure, that would "fix" the problem, but it's a pretty rude "slap 'em in the face" fix. It's not like Apple has to add support for these older programs. They already have it. What they are doing now is taking away that support. And my question to Apple is, "Why?" You would have to work to find many prominent 64-bit OS'es that don't continue to support 32-bit software (again, different from hardware support). What is Apple's reason for wanting to be the Black Sheep in the bunch? Maybe it's a good reason. So why don't you tell us what that reason is, Apple?
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote