View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 09:11 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourl29 View Post
@guma, excellent post.

ok, let's get a few things straight here:
Quote:
a. With the light at it's lowest the contrast is as good as any eink screen of this generation. Nothing against amazon there. With a light at any other setting amazon has the best contrast and the closest to paper in screen quality of any device on the market.
I've seen the PW and I've seen the T2. With the PW at it's lowest light setting, the T2 (to me) had a lighter background.

Quote:
b. The light does not have any issues whatsoever. Unless of course you have performed a product survey and would like to provide us with the results. The teething problems amazon had with the first month's batch of devices where quickly sorted out. Anyone can verify this with the latest reviews on the site. And it was never an issue anyway because amazon has a great customer service that you can keep sending kindles back until you had a good one. It does a huge disservice to other users who are looking to make up their minds to perpetuate this myth.
I am basing what I say about the PW light on what others here on MR have said about their PW and some have returned the PW multiple times due to issues with the light. There are photos posted on MR that do show some of the issues. According to PW owners on MR, it's not just a case of first month teething. It's happened after the first batch. In fact, several different batches.

Quote:
c. Touchscreen. I agree it's not the best, it's by far the best. It's a proper capacitive touch screen, not infrared, with fully integrated pinch to zoom, double tap to zoom features. It's extremely responsive and it makes for the easiest selection and highlighting of text out of any devices. Anyone can check a side by side video of kobo and kindle doing text selection. If in your opinion of course it's not the best, you are welcome to tell us which eink device has the best touch screen.
I cannot say how well the PW's touch works. But I can say that the IR touch of my 650 works very well. The T1's pinching to zoom also works well. The IR touch of the Kindle Touch works well too.

Quote:
d. Yes it is the best software, by far. Again you might want to tell us which ereader you think has the best software. I 've had zero bugs since day one, seamless upgrades, cloud syncing of my notes, easy send to kindle over the air from my browser and my computer, great cloud, a fast browser with minimal hick ups, etc. etc. ... It's not just the best software on an eink reader, it's far and away the best software on an eink reader.
I have seen the PW's interface on the Touch and I do think my 650's interface is better. The T1 can even download from overdrive without the need for a computer. The T1 can grab ePub from a cloud server such as Dropbox. Sonys just work. Kindles work too. But one thing, why is it that Amazon closed collections? Calibre can send eBooks to a Sony and create a collection/put books in an existing collection without the need for hacking the software. That to me does not make it the best software.

Quote:
Please don't confuse people here and get them to buy mickey mouse devices instead from mickey mouse companies. Kindle is second to none, and making a good effort close behind them is the nook, all the rest (sony, sadly included too, and I say sadly because it's hard to watch them drop the ball what with their potential), are lagging quite some way behind, and especially so the kobo, which is a laughing stock in terms of software development.
I've not had a chance to use a number of the Readers out there. So I cannot speak about them. But is the PW better then the Onyx I62HD Firefly or the Bookeen Cybook Odyssey HD Frontlight? Those are comparable in hardware. But, I cannot speak for the software.

Quote:
Every other day I 've been using my kindle for the past few months, I 've been saying to myself, boy am I glad I finally bought an eink device I can really use and not debug instead, boy am I glad I didn't listen to some of these guys and didn't buy the kobo instead.
I'm debating on the Aura HD or not. It's really tempting. I agree that the PW can be used without worrying about bugs causing usability problems.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-21-2013 at 09:15 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote