View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 05:00 AM   #1
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
James, Henry: Complete Works | v.2.0 | update 6 Nov 2016

“Please tell me what you find in Henry James. ...we have his works here, and I read, and I can't find anything but faintly tinged rose water, urbane and sleek, but vulgar and pale as Walter Lamb. Is there really any sense in it?” Virginia Woolf in a letter to Lytton Strachey, Octobre 22, 1915.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jamesworks.jpg
Views:	1353
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	89646

This volume collects the complete writings of Henry James (wikipedia) and it is HUGE: 23 novels, 112 stories and novellas, 12 plays, 6 books with travelogues, 10 with critical essays and 3 autobiographies. My reader counts about 13,500 pages and here’s what you’ll find inside:

THE NOVELS
Watch and Ward, Roderick Hudson, The American, The Europeans, Confidence, Washington Square, The Portrait of a Lady, The Bostonians, The Princess Casamassima, The Reverberator, The Tragic Muse, The Other House, The Spoils of Poynton, What Maisie Knew, The Awkward Age, The Sacred Fount, The Wings of the Dove, The Ambassadors, The Golden Bowl, The Outcry, The Whole Family, The Ivory Tower, The Sense of the Past

THE TALES
A Tragedy of Error, The Story of a Year, A Landscape-Painter, A Day of Days, My Friend Bingham, Poor Richard, The Story of a Masterpiece, The Romance of Certain Old Clothes, A Most Extraordinary Case, A Problem, De Grey: A Romance, Osborne’s Revenge, A Light Man, Gabrielle de Bergerac, Travelling Companions, A Passionate Pilgrim, At Isella, Master Eustace, Guest’s Confession, The Madonna of the Future, The Sweetheart of M. Briseux, The Last of the Valerii, Madame de Mauves, Adina, Professor Fargo, Eugene Pickering, Benvolio, Crawford’s Consistency, The Ghostly Rental, Four Meetings, Thédolinde or Rose-Agathe, Daisy Miller, Longstaff’s Marriage, An International Episode, The Pension Beaurepas, The Diary of a Man of Fifty, A Bundle of Letters, The Point of View, The Siege of London, The Impressions of a Cousin, Lady Barbarina, The Author of Beltraffio, Pandora, Georgina’s Reasons, A New England Winter, The Path of Duty, Cousin Maria or Mrs Temperly, Louisa Pallant, The Aspern Papers, The Liar, Two Countries or The Modern Warning, A London Life, The Lesson of the Master, The Patagonia, The Solution, The Pupil, Brooksmith, The Marriages, The Chaperon, Sir Edmund Orme, Nona Vincent, The Private Life, The Real Thing, Lord Beaupré, The Visits, Jersey Villas or Sir Dominick Ferrand, Collaboration, Greville Fane, The Wheel of Time, Owen Wingrave, The Middle Years, The Death of the Lion, The Coxon Fund, The Altar of the Dead, The Next Time, The Figure in the Carpet, Glasses, The Way it Came or ‘The Friends of the Friends’, John Delavoy, The Turn of the Screw, In the Cage, Covering End, The Given Case, The Great Condition, Europe, Paste, The Real Right Thing, The Great Good Place, Maud-Evelyn, Miss Gunton of Poughkeepsie, The Special Type, The Tree of Knowledge, The Abasement of the Northmores, The Third Person, The Tone of Time, Broken Wings, The Faces or The Two Faces, Mrs. Medwin, The Beldonald Holbein, The Story in It, Flickerbridge, The Beast in the Jungle, The Birthplace, The Papers, Fordham Castle, Julia Bride, The Jolly Corner, The Velvet Glove, Mora Montravers, Crapy Cornelia, The Bench of Desolation, A Round of Visits

THE PLAYS
Pyramus And Thisbe, Still Waters, A Change of Heart, Daisy Miller, Tenants, Disengaged, The Album, The Reprobate, Guy Domville, Summersoft, The High Bid, The Outcry

THE TRAVEL WRITING
Transatlantic Sketches, Portraits of Places, A Little Tour in France, English Hours, The American Scene, Italian Hours

THE CRITICISM
French Novelists and Poets, Hawthorne, Partial Portraits, Essays in London and Elsewhere, Picture and Text, William Wetmore Story and his Friends [see update v.2.0], Views and Reviews, Notes on Novelists, Within the Rim and Other Essays, Notes and Reviews, The Art of the Novel

THE AUTOBIOGRAPHIES
A Small Boy and Others, Notes of a Son and Brother, The Middle Years

I have thoroughly checked and corrected the formatting, comparing it to print editions wherever available. Special classes have been assigned to poems, quotes, subtitles, section breaks, etc. Quotes are curly, footnotes are active, fonts are embedded for small caps and special characters. Illustrations are currently embedded in only two of the books, I might restore them in the others in a future update.

I have tried to make sure that the texts have their italics (because Henry James loves italics). For a lot of books that meant converting upper case letters to italics, but as I couldn’t always find proper source texts, I have restored them manually in five novels and 15 tales, so now all of the novels and tales and most of the other books have them.

The collection is sorted by literary genres. There are tables of contents for the collection, the genres and all of the books. The headlines above the titles link back to the higher tables. After each text/chapter, there are links to get back to the respective tables.

And, of course, one book is missing. I couldn’t find “William Wetmore Story and his Friends” anywhere and will update this collection when I do.

I didn’t know what I got myself into when I started it, but now that it’s finished, I hope you’ll enjoy reading this edition.

Best,
pynch.

Update v.1.1 | 18 Dec 2012.
Corrected the embedded fonts so they support the newly displayed ligatures in ADE now.

Update v.1.2 | 28 Nov 2014.
Proofed 4 tales (‘The Middle Years,’ ‘The Death of the Lion,’ ‘The Coxon Fund,’ and ‘The Altar of the Dead’) against Terminations, William Heinemann 1895 (2nd ed.), and corrected hundreds of mistakes and variants.

Update v.1.3 | 28 Feb 2016.
Proofed one novel and 65 tales against their first British book publications: Daisy Miller: A Study, etc. (Macmillan & Co., 1879 (2nd ed.)), The Madonna of the Future, and Other Tales (Macmillan & Co., 1879, 2 vols.), Washington Square, etc. (Macmillan & Co., 1881, 2 vols.), The Collective Edition Vols. 11 and 12 (Macmillan & Co., 1883), Tales of Three Cities (Macmillan & Co., 1884), Stories Revived (Macmillan & Co., 1885, 3 vols.), The Aspern Papers, etc. (Macmillan & Co., 1888), A London Life, etc. (Macmillan & Co., 1889), The Lesson Of The Master, etc. (Macmillan & Co., 1892), The Real Thing, etc. (Macmillan & Co., 1893), The Private Life, etc. (James R. Osgood, McIlvaine & Co., 1893), Embarrassments (William Heinemann, 1897), The Two Magics (William Heinemann, 1898), In the Cage (Duckworth & Co., 1898). Thousands of mistakes and variants were corrected.

Update v.1.4 | 16 Oct 2016.
I have proofed Confidence, The Portrait Of A Lady, The Bostonians, The Other House, The Spoils Of Poynton, What Maisie Knew, The Awkward Age, The Sacred Fount, The Wings Of The Dove, The Ambassadors, The Golden Bowl, The Outcry, The Whole Family, The Ivory Tower, and The Sense Of The Past against early British and American edition. Thousands of mistakes and variants were corrected.

Update v.2.0 | 6 Nov 2016.
I could finally add the last missing book, William Wetmore Story and his Friends, to the collection, which GrannyGrump has kindly proofread for us.

Previous Download Count: 2419.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub The Complete Henry James v2.0.epub (15.40 MB, 1694 views)

Last edited by pynch; 11-06-2016 at 02:53 AM.
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote