Thread: eBooks We Need
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2008, 12:48 PM   #48
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
That's actually an interesting question.

You live in the US, where a work is still in copyright. It's out of copyright elsewhere, and you find an electronic copy, which you massage into a form usable by MobileRead visitors. You upload it for posting, and it gets stored on a server where the copyright has expired and it's a legal download.

How much trouble can you be in for having done the conversion? And who would be likely to go after you for having done it?

I'd be more worried about possible dangers to MobileRead for accepting work from from me in that case than I'd be about getting in trouble for doing it.

Copyright infringement suits presume damage in the form of lost revenues from the infringement, and take time and cost money to prosecute. Someone would have to see real potential losses to bother.

I'm not sure I'd let living in the US deter me from doing the work.
______
Dennis

Let me answer you hypothetically. If I do the work 1.) In the US, and 2.) as a US citizen, then I am a target for an infringment lawsuit because I infringed the work in the US. As a matter of fact, I'd make an excellent deterrent (Jammie Thompson type) lawsuit target. My Nom De Plume would be on the Mobileread Download. I prefer not to do it for those legal reasons. (Not moral reasons, I see no reason to say it's immoral to violate a life + 95 copyright vis a vis a life + 50 copyright, when the whole purpose of copyright was to be a wasting asset to encourage the creation of new works. Dead people don't create new works.)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote