View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 07:48 AM   #475
Hoods7070
Groupie
Hoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notes

Device: Nexus 7"
I would like to know if anyone can verify this weirdness, or explain it to me in Noddy language.

A long time ago (not sure HOW long, at least 18 months) I modified the Calibre template and stylesheet. Specifically, I swopped publisher with tags in the template, and had no "label"/"pubdata" TD. I modified some colours and font sizes in the stylesheet.

All has gone fine until recently, when I discovered that inserting a jacket using Modify epub (as I always have done) resulted in my Android reader (Mantano on a Nexus 7), Firefox (plugin) and Adobe Digital Editions all reading the jacket data table as left-aligned, all black, all serif - ie disregarding everything but the retrieved data (title, author etc.). The jacket is read as one would expect by the Calibre epub viewer.

I assumed (naturally, since my knowledge of html is pretty basic) that I am an idiot - although I had not touched the template and/or stylesheet since the long-ago modifications - and that I had done something wrong myself. Many uninstalls and reinstalls of Calibre (trying both 64 abd 32-bit) and Modify epub later, I have found this:

The same jacket, using the same template/stylesheet, whether the Calibre defaults or my own:
-- is "seen" as expected when it has been inserted with a Calibre conversion
-- is "seen" left-aligned, black etc. when replaced/inserted using Modify plugin
-- this is true with all the readers mentioned above, except the Calibre viewer, which has always read and still reads the jackets as expected

To triple check all this I unchecked ALL options in Modify epub except Add/Replace metadata jacket. I have inserted/replaced a number of jackets using both the plugin or a conversion, and the results are consistently: Calibre conversion fine, Modify epub wrong,as described.

Comments? Thoughts? Advice??

Last edited by Hoods7070; 08-19-2013 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Insertion
Hoods7070 is offline   Reply With Quote