View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 01:28 AM   #50
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSmithBooks View Post
There are lots of MP3 players right now with 2.8-3 inch LCD screens, with MP3 players, photo viewers, text ebook reading programs, and movie players. Some even have games on them.

Retailing for $25 on Ebay or through sites like Geeks.com.

If the pricing trends continue (and they have generally followed the same price curve as the above mentioned MP3 players), I think that $25 price point for a very basic reader is a distinct possibility in the next year or two.
Those programs are pretty simple, and I think it would be easy for a company that has the resources in place to produce such hardware (based on the cheap system-on-chip products already available), and license the software at a cheap price. But I really don't believe it's the same for an ereader. I doubt that there is any piece of software for reading epub/mobi/pdf that efficiently runs on embedded systems; it's just too complex (even without DRM).

We'd need to see hardware like the Raspberry Pi continue to shrink and get cheaper before we can have a full, general computing OS running at that price inside an ereader. It may eventually happen, but I think we need other markets (with complex software) to come in and make it more economically viable.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote