View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #1
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Hadopi (French Anti-Piracy Group) Not Long for this World

For those that don't know, Hadopi is the group that enforces France's draconian law that kicks a user off the internet after that user is accused of copyright infringement three times. Previously, the law was heavily criticized by the European Parliament because it carried with it the possibility that a harsh penalty (being excommunicated from the internet) would be imposed without any effective judicial oversight.

Now the law, and the group that enforces it, are facing more criticism, this time from the French minister of culture. In an interview, the minister stated:

Quote:
I do not know what will become of [Hadopi], but one thing is clear: Hadopi has not fulfilled its mission of developing legal content offerings...

"In financial terms, [spending] €12 million euros ($14.86 million) and 60 agents—that’s expensive [just] to send a million e-mails," she continued.

Finally, the suspension of Internet access seems to be a disproportionate penalty given the intended goal. But this will all be examined by the Lescure Commission. In the meantime, with respect to budgetary efforts, I’m going to ask that Hadopi’s funds be significantly reduced for the rest of 2012. I prefer to reduce the finances of [agencies] whose utility is not proven. In September, I will announce the details of these budgetary decisions.
It'll be interesting to see what, if any, lesson other countries thinking of a three-strikes system like Frances will take from this.

Full story on Ars Technica here.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote