View Single Post
Old 07-02-2010, 10:47 PM   #108
DaringNovelist
Addict
DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
I think there is a generational problem with this conversation. I do think that a lot of those under, say, forty, don't have any idea that the paradigm they see falling right now isn't all that old. Many of the elements they cite as "new" are actually older models. What goes around comes around.

And I've also noticed among my students that ten years ago "Ooo, free stuff!" was in. But it's very different among the youngest generation. This group has seen a little of what happens when the economy suffers. They like open source, but they don't assume a free lunch. They seem to understand better that there is an economic cost to everything, even if they don't pay it directly themselves.

And maybe that's part of what is missing from this discussion. People talk about giving and taking as if one can happen without the other. It can't. They are flip sides of the same thing.

Camille
DaringNovelist is offline   Reply With Quote