View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
popman
popman can extract oil from cheesepopman can extract oil from cheesepopman can extract oil from cheesepopman can extract oil from cheesepopman can extract oil from cheesepopman can extract oil from cheesepopman can extract oil from cheesepopman can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I read an overall misunderstanding in these questions, so first . . . .

Pick a model and a version - for that selection;
There are three general license categories of the source materials:
  • Source materials that require that those sources be available to the users of the binaries ;
  • Source materials that are otherwise public, but do not **require** that they be available to the users of the binaries ;
  • Source materials that are private property.
Amazon releases the minimum required for license compliance -
The "Source Code Bundles" only contain the first category materials.

Far, far, far from being a complete enough set to build a replacement of the complete firmware system.

If that is not your intent, if instead you are only interested in building that small (but vital) portion of the firmware represented by the source code bundles . . . .

Then repost your specific goals, and we can give you links to a lot of the background materials and tools.
my aim is to remove a number of the user subjugating features present on the kindle firmware. (I'm aiming just to do this on the kindle 4 since it's all I can test on)

and, yes the whole source of the firmware is available on amazon's site. (this was confirmed by them when I contacted them)
also, there could be nothing amazon could avoid releasing with the source since the firmware is distributed as a single .bin file licensed under the GNU GPL
popman is offline   Reply With Quote