View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #34
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Exclamation If problems, please charge battery !

Bricked kindles tend to discharge their batteries COMPLETELY. Charging does not work reliably. For the kindle we debricked last night, there were many problems until it finally got enough charge.

Symptoms of not enough charge are: MfgTool sees kindle and starts download but does not complete, or kindle not seen in fastboot mode even after booting to fastboot mode with MfgTool. Or kindle boots to diags and runs creates RUNME.done but the USB Drive cannot be loaded, or RUNME.sh starts but it never completes and you sit and the "Kindle Tree" screen. This is because the system detected a dead battery and switched to low power mode, with no mmc and no SDRAM -- only the battery charger firmware keeps running (apparently not reliably).

Solution: plug kindle into a WALL CHARGER for two or three hours, then use MfgTool to change to fastboot mode. Leave kindle connected to computer in fastboot mode for several hours (preferably overnight).

By monitoring a kindle serial port using MfgTool and fastboot, it appears that the kindle charges much faster in fastboot mode.

After you have a full charge (or at least charged in fastboot mode for a couple of hours), try using MfgTool to boot to diags.

I believe that many kindles do NOT need to reflash their mmcblk0p1, but even if you do, that can be done from diags mode in a RUNME.sh script. You need to boot to diags and copy data.tar.gz to it to install the code that checks for a RUNME.sh during every boot to main or diags. Be SURE to add an ENABLE_DIAGS or it will reboot to MAIN instead of DIAGS. Copy a custom RUNME.sh with the "dd" shown in the previous post. Reboot FROM THE MENU. There are reports that a HARD reboot (holding the power button) does not always run the RUNME.sh script.

Cross your fingers. If that does not work, do not give up. We will eventually have a full fastboot solution. This is a WORK IN PROGRESS. I post my progress to give us all hope. We WILL have a solution if we can remain patient, and for those willing to use the tools I provided (with a full battery charge) there is a HIGH success rate...

Last edited by geekmaster; 02-26-2012 at 05:38 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote