View Single Post
Old 01-09-2020, 05:33 PM   #64
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Many places are gone. Amazon has 90%.
Most publishers don't sell direct (we removed it too)
Even Google struggles to sell much variety via Google Books/Playstore. So we upload to Amazon and Smashwords. Smashwords means our books are on Kobo, Tolino, Apple, Nook too. Smashwords also sell to libraries / Overdrive I think, we've had sales to all that Smashwords distribute to except libraries. We never sold any on Google, nor direct. About 2/3rds are via Amazon.

So I'd expect majority of more recent readers to buy 1 source only, Amazon mostly (90%) or the ePub ereader associated shop, and then next group 2 to 3 shops (maybe some Kindle owners from Smashwords and people with Nook, Tolino or Kobo sometimes from associated shop and maybe Smashwords).

I bought an ereader about seven years ago purely to read PD Gutenberg. The niche publishing for half a dozen people was later. I've bought very few ebooks compared to paper since. Only were there was a big discount or it wasn't on paper. Only from Smashwords and Amazon.

It's very sad. Partly the idiocy of the big publishers not having 100% of their titles on eBook and POD on their own portal and better ebook pricing. Supermarket mass market paper is cheaper than ebooks from same publishers!

Last edited by Quoth; 01-09-2020 at 05:36 PM. Reason: paper
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote