View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 10:58 AM   #37
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Yes, Amazon are paying a percentage of retail, not the price at which the book sells.

Say the retail price for an ebook I publish is $10.
Amazon will pay me $3.50 per sale.
Smashwords will pay me $4.25 sale.

Either way, if I'm paying the author 20% of retail price, I need to pay them $2 when a book sells.

So selling through Smashwords on Amazon will net me $2.25 compared to $1.50 from going direct.

Suppose I do go direct, and knowing that Amazon will probably discount my book by 20%, I set the retail price at $12.50, so it sells for $10. Amazon will pay me $4.37, which is more that I'd get selling it for $10 through Smashwords. But I'd then have to pay the author $2.50, leaving me with $1.87, still worse off than selling through Smashwords for $10.
I understand.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote