View Single Post
Old 10-30-2006, 11:11 AM   #30
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Wish we'd get over the nuclear power phobia enough to at least look at things like pebble-beds. You can't make those things melt down.
I'm not phobic about the power plants themselves. But waste that stays deadly longer than humans have been civilized so far seems like a bad idea to me. Yes, we will eventually find ways to deal with it, but as far as I'm concerned, commercial fission can wait until we do. (And pebble bed plants may not melt down, but they have risks of their own, also documented on the Wikipedia page.)

Estimates I've seen indicate that conservation would "generate" the equivalent of a new energy technology right now if we got serious about it. But I'm sure that's an argument for another forum elsewhere.

Back to the question at hand, a recycling program for broken or outdated iLiads would be a good thing. A process like CWT sounds good, because they can apparently filter glass and metals out of plastic/bio feeds and recycle those at the same time. That's the kind of direction we need to be able to go-- put anything in, get only usable stuff out. It looks like at this point CWT is only taking organic waste from turkey farms, but eventually they plan to process mixed "trash" type waste, including glass, plastic, metals, etc. A system like this is needed, because the expense of disassembling used computers for recycling is prohibitive, at least as long as everyone is allowed to just throw them into landfills instead. Regarding the "good-fast-cheap" + "easy" idea, "easy" usually translates pretty directly into "fast."
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote