View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 04:51 AM   #4
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
(Not necessarily for the consumer!)
To help promote the Kindle, Amazon offers to give kindle copies of all books that you "trade in" to Amazon.

Kindle gets to "give away" electronic copies and get real copies they can sell.

The publishers would not, of course, care for this much. Heh.

I'd probably do it in most cases though, if just to thin out my book shelves. 700+ books at the moment.. most of which aren't available in ebook format, but some are.
Additionally to publishers hating the idea, as they also hate the used book market in general, it also would likely cause a revolt among current used book sellers who sell on Amazon now. Amazon already makes enough off used book sales without the overhead of grading, storing and handling the used inventory. There are also sanitation issues. What if someone gets a book the dog peed on? Not going to make that person too happy. I can see the review of the book on the site not "Could not read book because Amazon's dog seems to have peed on it." It would be funny but not sure Amazon wants that sort of headache.

Personally I am with you, I would love such a deal. For now I just either donate my books to our library for their annual fund raiser sale, donate them to a couple local charity orgs where I know the books or funds go to actually helping someone or I sell them outright on ebay just for milk money.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote