View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
IMO, using background color is acceptable as long as it is used sparingly for visual effect. You almost certainly should not use white-on-black for the body text of an entire book. One or two special pages in a book, however, are unlikely to annoy anyone.

I would also suggest setting !important on both the background and the color properties as a clear indication to the reading system that this is *not* ordinary body text that it can re-style at will without breaking things.

Even then, you might have a few buggy readers (Nook on iOS, I'm looking at you) that "helpfully" try to set the text color to black but don't change the background (resulting in black-on-black text). At least in the case of Nook on iOS, you can fix this by enabling publisher styles (and why that mode is not the default, I will never understand), but it is worth keeping in mind.

In iBooks on iPhone/iPad, inverted text behaves exactly as you would expect. Likewise in every other reader I tried except for Nook. *ahem*
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote