View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #361
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldlyDubious View Post
If a media file gets illegally distributed, the original buyer of that file is considered responsible of that along with the actual distributor, and they both get fined. Only the distributor gets fined if one or both of the following conditions apply:
(1) at time X, before the illegal distribution, the buyer of the file notified the police of a theft of property or data which included media files, and the illegally distributed file was purchased before time X;
(2) the buyer of the file is able to identify the physical person who actually distributed the file, and this person confirms to have done that.
Problem is, what if you didn't realize it was missing or you submitted a police report after X, but before anyone is notified?

Here is a situation that happened at my school. Forget a flash drive at the school computer lab, next kid along grabs it and uploads everything. You make a report, drive gets turned in later, and you get it back. You're on the hook for everything in that scenario. School network so can't exactly track who uploaded it.

Another instance, i had a flash drive at work, in my work area. Someone snagged it without asking because they needed to sneaker net a few files. Drive turns up later that day, but with files that weren't mine. I didn't even notice the drive missing till a coworker found it laid by one of the communal work spaces. In that instance i would get in trouble if my files were shared, and i would seem to be responsible for the other files because they're on my drive.

Plus some police officers balk at doing reports on lost items. Hell, i personally have had an instance where a person broke into my house and steal my dad's medicine from when he was dying of cancer. The cops refused to do a police report. If they won't on a B&E, do you think they will if you forget a flash drive somewhere?

There are a bunch of problems with this.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote