View Single Post
Old 08-04-2006, 09:17 AM   #4
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon
After all, that's what DRM is for! They want you to pay for every time you want to use the item - they are just "turning up the heat" gradually. Yesterday, it was pay once and use it forever. Today it's pay every so often, use it a few times in between. Tomorrow it will be pay everytime you want to use it.
I really, really wish I could find the 1980's video magazine in which a movie studio exec said that the dumbest thing Hollywood ever did was allow consumers to own their product. You are correct, most media outlets want a pay-per-view model because it translates to more revenue down the road, and eliminates revenue lost to pesky things like used CD and book stores.

I think DRM'd content is no problem to things that will have the shelf life of a gnat; newspapers and periodicals that are consumed and then disposed of.

The big but here is this: the content providers have to be honest about this. I don't necessarily think the Sony Libre book rental model was a horrible one *if* a price incentive is presented and the terms of the rental are clearly stated.

For anything I want to keep, I still buy DVDs, CDs and paper books. I don't really have much choice.
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote