View Single Post
Old 02-23-2014, 07:21 PM   #9
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The character Name is of great significance to us mere mortals.
I looked for the utf-16 code because I did not want to die ignorant. Of course a name is human friendly and these characters have names too.

But you missed my point: I just wanted to remark that it's a character name, not an entity name. One is called no-break space, the other narrow no-break space. We shorten that to nbsp and nnbsp, but now, in the UTF-16 only bright new world - if you selected that option - there are no more entities.

Temporarily highlighting characters

This is a modest proposal following BetterRed thoughts.

We all have used underground in unknown cities. Hopelessly lost, we look our way on the huge wall map, figuring 300 subway stations. We select the name of the target station, and suddenly we can see our itinerary highlighted : six stations on the blue line, change, four on the red line and done. Everything is clear. OK. End of highlighting. New customer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The narrow non-breaking space, the thin-space, the zero-width joiner, the soft-hyphen and other such characters/entities have played havoc with editors/devices for a long time--many don't support some or all of them at all. I'm sure if there were a simple solution, it would be implemented already.
Why this underground idea above could not be applied by the Editor to unicode characters of every kind? Ctrl+N, we know there are 1407 nbsp. Fine. Ctrl+H, they are temporarily highlighted, as long the search box is unmodified or that the Ctrl+H is not pressed again.

Importantly, invisible characters could be pinpointed this way by adding a temporary highlighted character that could not be mistaken for another one. At long last, we could see the invisible man...

This could be helpful to many beginners.

Last edited by roger64; 02-23-2014 at 08:03 PM. Reason: bulb
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote