View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #38
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Interesting thread.

So... apparently I have a mild(?) form of Dysnumeria. I always mix the places of 6 and 3 in large numbers, less frequent with other digits. What I usually do to remember numbers correctly is either remember each digit as a word, or group the digits and then make associations between the digits of each group. The first one makes it easier to remember numbers but it's only useful if I only talk in one language because I remember it like a short song that plays in my head and I can't just translate it into other languages because the words for the numbers don't have the same number of syllables. The second one is like doing a logic exercise: you have a number with 10 digits, the fifth and the eight are 3's which are flowed by even numbers...
I've always wondered if I may have something like that. I tend to flip digits in my head, but when I speak it. I'll read a number, it gets sorted properly, try and speak it, and then the flipping happens. When I break it down into groups of 2 or 3, it seems to not be so bad. For instance, last night, I was having to read off a lot of numbers, such as my bank account number, routing number, social security number, to my wife as we switch some billing things around (just got married, so she's doing the name change stuff). On the things that I remembered in three digit chunks, or forced myself to say in 3 digit chunks, I was able to do fine (although did really throw her that I did my SSN in 3 segments of 3 digits, instead of the proper 3 digit-2 digit-4 digit manner). Go to read my bank routing number off a check, and I flip a bunch of numbers around while speaking (which is frustrating because it is the right way in my head). About the largest chunks I can handle is 4 digits, for my debit and credit cards.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote