View Single Post
Old 07-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #15
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Have you ever read Hal Duncan's Book of All Hours: Vellum. It has more of a mix of mythology and science, but it is very densely layered in a similar concept to Stephenson although the effect is somewhat different. Early on in the book, it reminded me slightly of Snow Crash, but that impression fades fast. Note that there's a second volume to it called Ink, and the first book ends a bit abruptly for some people's taste (though I didn't see it being an issue, myself).

I finished the first volume of the Baroque Cycle (it was the first book I bought for my Kindle!) and enjoyed it a lot, but it took me a long time to read, longer than his other works.

I personally do not recommend His Dark Materials; my wife didn't like it at all, and I found it a bit shallow for my taste. It's not terrible, but if you're not someone looking to poke a stick in the eye of religion (& in a wider sense, authority figures of every kind) with a serious mad-on about the matter, I don't think you'll find it worth the time.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote