View Single Post
Old 07-05-2010, 05:58 PM   #7
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I've read Peter Watts, Stepehenson, Gibson, most of Greg Bear (not Slant - thanks Sparrow), some of Rucker (just grabbed his freebie tetralogy). I've tried to read Boneshaker - didn't grab me but will try again. Love cyberpunk and steampunk.

What really intrigues me about The Diamond Age is the almost limitless depths to the writing - almost like "Godel, Escher, and Bach" - where the reader follows a similar educative process as Nell reading the Primer, where the allusions/parodies of computer science permeate the text (Castle of Duke Turing, etc.), the inclusion of different cultures (geographical, economic, and educational), where every single word means something and belongs in the text. And everything interweaves into a coherent whole you can't ever quite grasp.
That's what I mean! That intellectual "wow" factor.

Where the construction of the text seamlessly mirrors & supports the plot.

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 07-05-2010 at 07:05 PM.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote