View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 04:51 AM   #1
paulpeer
Zealot
paulpeer is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, Sony PRS-505, EPUBreader
Importing "big" XHTML files in Sigil

I have a rather huge XHTML file. It is 3,7 MB long and has links to 25 pictures with an average of 10 KB each.

First I tried to import it in Sigil 0.2.0 on a Mac Snow Leopard. After about 10 minutes the first chapter was shown in the book view, perfectly, even with the pictures in it. As soon as I tried to save this version, the beach ball started spinning (equivalent to the hour glass in Windows) and after 15 minutes of waiting I saw that the program was frozen.

Then I tried to import it in Sigil 0.1, which was a succes. Here in the code view I "cleaned" the source and got rid of many unnecessary things such as a few thousand "lang=...", "color=..." etc. This reduced the file to less than 1 MB.

Now I imported it again in Sigil 0.2.0. This worked, but very very slowly. Splitting into chapters costs 10 minutes per chapter. I've done 10 chapters of the 50 by now ...

Any suggestions, apart from doing all the work in a text editor, as in the good old days before Sigil?

BTW, I've tried to "chunk" the file in Calibre, but this didn't work either.

EDIT: Maybe I should add that the book has about 250 footnotes (links), what probably will slow up Sigil's work.

Last edited by paulpeer; 03-18-2010 at 05:43 AM. Reason: fact added
paulpeer is offline   Reply With Quote