View Single Post
Old 02-06-2014, 06:49 AM   #25
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In these days of government spending cuts, Ralph, do you think there's any serious possibility of this occurring? I can't see either party wanting to spend what could be potentially large sums of money to "buy out" the copyright of living authors. It's difficult to quantify the benefit to society (in $ terms, I mean) of doing so.

It sounds more like the sort of thing that charitable foundations might be persuaded to do.
HarryT, I don't know. The whole idea "behind the idea" is to have something to counter the next Hollywood request for copyright extension with. Telling you Congresscritter (MP in your world) to tell the people offer him/her all those campaign funds to "go jump in a lake" is going to be a non-starter.

Of course, I could be wrong and another SOPA rebellion could occur, but I think even if it did, the extension would still get passed, rolled into another bill, snuck in at midnight before the end of a session...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote