View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 03:24 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstar View Post
... However, the documentation clearly says "access over the net" using the server. This gives the impression that I can access from my friend's house, wifi hotspot...or wherever. It is a little misleading...
It's not misleading, it just assumes you have basic network knowledge.

To get the calibre Web server to display you usually have to port forward from your port, but without knowledge of your network setup it is hard to give advice.
Well said =X= very true.

@roadstar
calibre is like every other program (thinks MMO game servers that you want to run from your home) that needs access to the outside world and ports forwarded. Setting up your network is up to you, calibre can't do that for you. Review these links to figure out how to forward a port and allow outside access to your calibre library. If you can't sort it out post in the calibre forum for help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Consider the fact that, if you were to make your Calibre library publicly available on the Internet, then unless all your books were in the public domain you would in effect be setting up your own pirate book site. You would need to provide an authentication mechanism to ensure that only you could access it, otherwise you could find yourself in very hot water, legally.
HarryT I see you repeat this multiple times and I agree folks need to be reminded about providing authentication. I'm just not sure that you realize that password authentication is built into calibre's content server. You can turn it off or on as you wish, but it is a built-in option. Maybe you could work this small fact into your standard warning next time.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote