View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #18
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
Reading a couple more reviews and looking at pictures, that built in front lighting looks really, really good and I can't help wondering if the anti-glare coating wouldn't help a bit in some outdoor/strong lighting reading situations where you are holding the NST at an angle (I don't find that a big problem, but I can still get some annoying reflections in the right circumstances).

Still and all, unless I need to get a 2nd ebook reader, it just isn't enough for me to upgrade unless they get ridiculously cheap at some point. I really can't help feeling like this is an interim, "We developed an awesome front lighting system, so we'll slap it in the current hardware and ship it to have a nice advantage on the Kindle line to grab some Amazon market share" release. If this really is the "next generation" of ebook reader for Barnes and Noble and not simply an interim release before a complete Nook ST upgrade sometime in the next 4-10 months, then I think B&N is going to get pasted when Amazon releases their second generation Kindle touch (which I suspect would probably be a summer to winter release for them).

So that said, I think I'll just hold off and see what the next fully new generation/major upgrade gets me in an ebook reader. My wants are slightly faster processor (which can be done AND have lower power drain), a bit more built in memory...especially if they aren't going to fix the memory card shelving issue and keep restricting the internal memory to 246MB for the user and something to improve the screen. I'd prefer not color eInk...I just want something with a bit higher resolution and a bit more contrast and grey scale steps. Faster screen response/less ghosting wouldn't be a sad thing to see either.

I also wouldn't mind if B&N added sound like the kindle touch, but it isn't something I am really looking for in an ebook reader...I just wouldn't mind if it was there (unless pay a large monetary, size or weight penalty since I'd probably rarely ever use it).
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote