View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #12
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Not exactly true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpoz View Post
"The other adjustment methods may be beyond most folks. "

Adjustment methods? What setting a channel or not to be mixed or what security method used be it WPA2 AES or tkip+aes, etc.
I use an ATT Residential Gateway. It is a combination WiFi router, TV Cable Modem and Internet Cable Modem.

Changing any parameter on it could cripple TV and the Internet. Its best to leave that one alone.

Since there are millions of ATT TV users, there could be a lot of them here.

What you are saying is like telling someone to change their own car battery, test and then install spark plugs, etc. Yes a qualified car mechanic could do that. The vast majority had better never go near those kinds of adjustments.

The Kindle Fire is rated for 7 hours of battery use. If one charges from a level of 15% to 30%, then one can only get 4.5 to 5.5 hours of use. I leave my WiFi on all the time and get those hours. I doubt if there could be much improvement by shutting down WiFi. In fact I did shut down WiFi for a time trying to get some battery improvement and noticed NONE.

Naturally, if one shuts off WiFi and goes down to zero percent for a charge, then I'm sure battery energy use would be improved but I'm also sure some damage could result to the Lithium battery.

Finally, keeping WiFi on allows syncing between my Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Fire and Kindle 4 PC. Shutting WiFi down would end the syncing, automatic firmware upgrades and Android app upgrades.

I use Badass Battery Monitor Pro and have also noticed that, when I go into Sleep Mode, BOTH the Screen and WiFi do not use any measurable battery energy. Thus, without shutting down WiFi at all its inactive state does not use much energy.

What you may be confusing is, when using cell phones, shutting down the 3G or 4G does save significant energy. That is true. I always shut down my cell phone when not in use.

Last edited by sirmaru; 01-18-2012 at 02:09 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote