Thread: TO THE CLOUD!
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #11
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
This thread sounds like an ad for cloud computing (or at least cloud storing)
Anyways what is the limit in size of files I can upload to dropbox ? is it free to use ? Can I create permissions for say friends to access my data ? how well protected it is ? can my private data be hacked ? and so on ...
I'm not sure about the file size limit but I have uploaded some pretty big files. It has free accounts that start off with 2GB and paid accounts for larger. But, you can easily expand your free 2 GB by referring friends, installing on your second computer, etc. I think I now have 5.5GB free. Yes, you can let your friends access folders of your choosing and you can also create links to specific files.

Quote:
Oh and perhaps the most important, this dropbox is a program (A client I assume) that you install on your computer and since it must certainly have firewall permission, could it act as a trojan horse and allow someone to access my computer by some backdoor ?
Yes, it is a client program. I guess it is possible to act as a trojan but I think that is pretty unlikely. Did you have the same concerns with your Mozy client? Nobody can access your files that you have not given permission to.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote