View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #19
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I think I've probably read more paper books than ebooks this year, for a couple of reasons:

1. I already had a fairly significant paper TBR. If I clear it, I can actually get rid of some of the books and recover some shelf-space. (One day, I might even see the back rows of books again!)

2. I've been reading some books I'm not interested in keeping. Essentially rentals. I buy them cheaply used, and then give them away again when I'm done. (In theory. I've bought about 30 Agatha Christie novels this way, and read maybe 6 of them.) I could use a library for this, but that would involve going to the library at the right times. I prefer to lay them up in advance, so I can pick one up whenever the urge takes me. And I'm mainly getting them from charity shops, so everyone wins.

3. The Agatha Christie thing is part of a recent interest in Golden Age crime, and quite a lot of it is unavailable as an ebook. A fair bit is unavailable new in any form.

4. When I go into charity shops and second-hand bookshops, I often see other things I also want.

5. I'm now up to 14 books I've won in various online giveaways/competitions. (4 separate wins.) I'm not going to turn down free stuff.

To be honest, I don't really care what format I read something in. A good quality hardback or attractive paperback can be very nice. Sometimes a pbook is a little more awkward to handle than an ebook. Sometimes an ebook is riddled with scannos and formatting errors.

I will admit that the pbook I am currently reading is sufficiently manky that I kind of want to wash my hands after touching it, but I normally wouldn't buy something in that state. In this case, it's the only copy I've seen, and it was cheap. It's the first book I've had that I would be happy to chop up and scan.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote