View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 04:35 AM   #14
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellett View Post
Being the trusting soul that I am, I have all my Android apps (with a few notable exceptions) set to autoupdate. Got the latest 1.8.2 automatically and that's apparently what caused the rebuild on the Galaxy Nexus, and I'm sure the loss/corruption of the data base on the Nook Color. I don expect it to happen again unless y'all trigger another data base reformat, and hopefully not then :-)
The upgrade from 1.8 to 1.8.1 should have triggered a DB update. If that update completely finished, then the 1.8.1 to 1.8.2 should not have triggered it. If it had not finished, then it would restart from where it left off whether or not the app was upgraded.

An upgrade from 1.8 to 1.8.2 also would trigger the upgrade.
Quote:
By the way, I think you've remarked that changing the data base & repository location effectively wipes out everything. Since the metadata file is in the same directory with the book files, why does this happen if you move the entire folder including the metadata / data base? I think this implies that something other than a simple pointer to the folder has to be stored externally to the folder?
The database is stored in some android-private folder. We don't store metadata in the book repository folder.

Changing the repository folder without clearing the DB would require copying every book from the old folder to the new one. This is problematic because it could overwrite files, something that we really don't want to do automatically. However, if we don't overwrite then we have no guarantee that the books are the same, or that the files are even books.

We (Steven and I) have discussed doing the copy if the destination folder is empty, in which case there can't be a problem with overwrites. In this case we would not need to clear the DB. We are still reflecting on the question. There are also interactions with format routing that we need to think through.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote