Thread: Typos in ebooks
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 04:13 AM   #48
Tonycole
Tonycole is on a distinguished road

Device: Various Sony ereaders, Kindle and Nooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I too have been angry and frustrated by the shoddy formatting found in many commercial ebooks. I had a frank exchange of views a week or so ago with HarperCollins Australia about 'Flashman' by George MacDonald Fraser. I won't go into the details now, but I told them that I would be ashamed to put out something as poorly produced over my signature, and that I certainly would not have bought the book if I had known how badly produced it was. I did get a response, but only that the book was produced by HarperCollins UK, and they would send the email to them.

I have a suggestion, but it depends on whether commercial publishers read MobileRead Forums, and whether they give a damn anyway.

Suppose each time any of us finds a particularly badly produced book we notify each other through this forum to warn others not to buy that book - something like a 'Hall of Shame' - and copy the details to the publisher, and mention that the comment has been posted here.

We might even need a special subforum for the Hall of Shame. How do people feel about the idea? Would the moderators permit this?

Regards, Alex
Hi, I think your idea of a sort of "hall of shame" is a very good one. I would be very happy to have a sort of continually growing post on my eReader blog with this, as like so many others, I have been palmed off with full price books from apparently reputable publishers, that were a mass of typos.

If anyone feels like helping with .this,, please send me your "Black list" (name of book and Publisher) at tony@ebookanoid.com, and I shall start the post. I shall also hand on all such emails to a friend who runs a blog for Apple owners, and who is equally angry about this matter, and will certainly join in such a campaign
Tonycole is offline   Reply With Quote