View Single Post
Old 03-20-2010, 12:24 AM   #13
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
(I copied, pasted, and formatted the original post to retain all of the text for context)
Originally Posted by Solitaire1:

I only sync collections to my ereader rather than my entire library. Some collections are designated to sync to my ereader's memory and others to a memory card. This makes it easy to control the books I want on my reader. Just drop it into the appropriate collection(s) and it will be loaded when I next sync my reader. In turn, to remove a book from my ereader I just delete it from the collections it's in (while leaving it in my library) and then sync my ereader.
Originally posted by bakura82:

This is a good idea, however, when you say delete, do you mean directly from the eReader? Because if you delete from the collection in the Sony Reader Library (SRL), the book remains in the main library. This also means it remains in your eReader without an association with a collection. (You can access it from the eReader "Books" menu rather than a collection.)
To avoid syncing problems I don't delete ebooks on my ereader. Instead, I do all of my ebook management via the SRL. When I sync my ereader with the SRL, only books in a collection will be loaded on my reader.

To illustrate, yesterday I synced my ereader with the SRL and I ended up with duplicates of all of my ebooks (the version originally on my reader and a new version from the SRL). To correct this I did the following after starting the SRL and connecting my ereader:

- When into the Source View List (on the left size of the screen), clicked on "Sync" for my reader and unchecked all of the items.

- When into the Source View List, clicked on "Sync" for my memory card and unchecked all of the items.

- Synced my reader. When I was finished there was nothing on my ereader.

- When into the Source View List, clicked on "Sync" for my and checked the collections that I wanted on my ereader's internal memory.

- When into the Source View List, clicked on "Sync" for my memory card and checked the collections that I wanted on my ereader's memory card.

- Synced my ereader. When finished only the ebooks in a collection were on my ereader and only one copy of each ebook and the collections I selected were on my ereader.

One thing that may help when syncing is to ensure that when selecting the collections that you want synced to your reader is to ensure that the first two items on the list ("Library" and "Books") are not checked. If "Library" is checked then your entire library (including photos and music) will be synced to your ereader even if it's not in a collection, and likewise with all of your ebooks if "Books" is checked.

I do all of my ebook management off-line...

Yeah, I can see this preventing problems too.
For me, this was especially true with my old computer (which had about half the power of my current system) where the SRL software was functional but sluggish due to my slow system. Even now, with my more powerful system, I find that the SRL works best if it's allowed to work undistracted when syncing with my ereader.

When it comes to PDFs I've had great success with them as long as they are formatted for the size of my ereader's screen.

Any ideas for reformatting PDF's that are 8.5 x 11?
Not really. When it comes to PDFs, I think of them as electronic paper. With physical paper I have to reformat the source document and then reprint it to change the formatting. With PDFs if I want to change the formatting I have to go to the source document, reformat it, and then regenerate the PDF.

Even though reflow is available on my reader, I dislike the results.

If there are no photos and it's all inline (ie. NOT newspaper style with columns) then it will work well for me. I rarely end up with PDFs like this though. lol.

What about books between two computers? Does everyone insist on one library/PC only to prevent issues, or will the SRL actually sync on both ends properly?
I only have one computer so I can't speak to this issue. I haven't heard of any problems but I haven't looked into the issue.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote