View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 04:11 AM   #34709
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
Trying to figure out where Toochow is. Are there any really old people who know the Asian region out there? Google doesn't seem to understand what I am talking about. There is obviously a new translation out there. It doesn't help that the document I am trying to read is from 1881, and it could possibly be Foochow???

I think Foochow is Fuzhou, Fujian. Anybody know?
Appears to be in China.
From "The dictionary of needlework : an encyclopędia of artistic, plain, and fancy needlework ..." Toochow was the ancient seat of Chinese embroidery, but at Canton and Ning-po a great deal is now worked, particu- larly large screens, fan cases, and robes,....

And from New Zealand Herald, Volume XIX, Issue 6567, 4 December 1882, Page 7, it appears that Toochow embroidery was part of a ship's manifest along with other Chinese goods.

The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. ) Saturday 23 May 1885 Page 8 also mentions Toochow, as does The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW ) 7 September 1885 on page one discussing shipping to Hong Kong and Toochow.

However, it very well may be an incorrect transliteration from Soochow, which is near Shanghai. Hong Kong and Shanghai were both very active shipping ports, especially in the late 1800's. I've seen a LOT of 'Japanglish' that interchanges 'too,' 'tsu,' and 'soo.' Might be a problem with Chinese too. I don't speak enough of it to know.

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 10-26-2012 at 04:47 AM.
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote