Thread: iLiad Tcl/Tk for iLiad?
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
I just compiled and installed Tcl/Tk in Scratchbox target for iLiad because they are needed by Python. In fact, I don't know what are they. With some brief review of the official site, I only caught the key word "rapid development".
So, my question is: do we need it for iLiad?
I'm quite a fan of Tcl/Tk, so...

Tcl/Tk is a scripting language with a very well designed UI (API-wise). It is rather small (in KB) as it is designed to be included in applications. In spirit, it is similar to the lua+lgob port that you have seen here.

The API of the UI is so great, that it is (was?) the deafult GUI for python, hence its status as a dependency. It uses raw X (no GTK/Qt, etc although there are ports for a lot of platforms, including windows), and it shows its age, although newer versions have some skinning support.

The problem is that GUI programs written in TCL/Tk aren't as speedy as... say C+FLTK programs.

Tcl/tk is great for quick hacks, but for large programs it is adviseable to look elsewhere.

Anyway, I find writing programs in Tcl/Tk very enjoyable (much more that in python, for example).
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote