View Single Post
Old 05-19-2017, 07:59 PM   #464
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In the case of words such as ten-year-old, those as not hyphens. Those are dashes.
Sorry Jon, but that is a hyphen. Your example is a compound word and only a hyphens should be used to connect them.
Quote:
Now if you had a word such as some-times, then yes, you have a hyphen that doesn't belong. But in most eBooks I've been reading, I've not seen a hyphen.
Well I have plenty of books that have hyphens where there should be either an emdash or endash (choice dependent on the style rules being followed.)
Quote:
I've seen dashes (they are not hyphens) and the hyphens I do see are added in on the fly by the reading software. So what you are worrying about is nothing at all. Hyphens/dashes are not the issue you make them out to be. If you have a scanned eBook that you scanned,just search for hyphens/dashes and delete the ones that are hyphens and leave the dashes. Simple really.
You are talking about hyphenation for text justification. You should make sure that that is understood. icallaci is talking about hyphens used for other legitimate purposes.

Personally, I don't find the full justification and automatic hyphenation done in my ereaders to be very good, so I removed justification from books I edit unless I think there is a reason for it. It has improved over time and it generally doesn't bug me to much if I am reading a purchased kepub. Yes, I could try the improved hyphenation dictionary, but it isn't worth the effort if I am already editing the book.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote