View Single Post
Old 01-21-2014, 07:41 AM   #9
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
with the newer Sony's ( t2, T3 ) you can borrow books from UK library direct to your device - though trying to navigate the library web sites via the reader browser is so fiddly you are better off doing it on PC!
but you go (jsut once only) to the library app on the reader, type in your location & it finds your local library web site + the reader browser will store your library card number & PIN. I tested with T2, I don't have a T1. it found Gloucestershire, England no problem.

I reverted to using PC + sony reader software & side loading, for ease of navigation but another method is to use PC up the point where you have the book(s) at checkout ready to download, then switch to the reader browser for that last step. I think I tested that you can return a library book directly from the T2 / T3, also.

I am in Glos. UK, & having compared some other UK libraries I seem to have a better than average selection on offer, ( 3,383 ebook fiction entires in catalogue) but nowhere near as large as the USA ones.. I was checking other UK libraries where we have relatives, but Croydon, Birmingham, Lewisham e-book collections were much smaller. All the UK libraries need to see ID, in-person, so the only way to use another library would be if a friend or relative with a qualifying address were willing to get a card & then let you use it. They all use the overdrive interface & their e-book lending pages have identical menus etc.

if you look at the overdrive web site they now claim to have apps for android, i-pad.., kindle fire, nook . all sort of gadgets... so you can loan an audio book directly onto your smart phone or tablet.
http://omc.overdrive.com/v3-available-now/ios.php

there is no way to borow mobi / AZW kindle format books in the UK though, except for a VERY limited offer for amazon prime customers
Back to brooklyn.
I found the out of state application form but it is designed only for USA addresses, so I have emailed them for more help...
https://bpl.brooklynpubliclibrary.or...ref=outofstate

Last edited by cybmole; 01-21-2014 at 07:45 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote