View Single Post
Old 07-04-2009, 12:34 AM   #10
glitch44
glitch44 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: no reader yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsm View Post
basically amazon has to pay sprint .12 per meg of data the kindle downloads. that is why they charge you .15 per meg to email pdf files to yourself. imagine what would happen to amazon of every user started to download 100 megs worth of pdf files every month without them getting any compensation? 100 megs is very reasonable considering the size of most pdf files. It would cost amazon 12 dollar a month per user who did that. is there any financial way to support that? no, the 15c per meg covers amazon's bill sprint gives them, plus server costs.
Yeah, in many ways I would much prefer having a wireless G/N card in the Kindle DX than whispernet. Rarely am I away from my home wifi and if I am I'm at a hotel and using the hotel internet with airport express. Wifi would save Sprint's network, allow us more freedom, and would eliminate the $.15 dilemma.

For my purposes it would work much better-- the scanned screenplays I read could be dropped into a dropbox/ sugarsync folder on my desktop and instantly be available on the Kindle.

Of course, one of the negatives would be the power drain by wifi. If they could afford to put a dual whispernet / wifi adapter in the Kindle, perhaps the could develop a push notification system:

New content in an Amazon S3 folder --> push notification of new content over whispernet --> kindle gets the notification and turns on wifi adapter --> files synced over wifi --> wifi shuts off to save battery.

Too much wishful thinking probably but it would work great for my needs.
glitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote