View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 01:37 AM   #2
memobug
Connoisseur
memobug began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500/PRS-505/Kindle DX/iPhone 3G
I wish the news were better - Navigation through the mobile web browser is OK but a little clumsy because it only shows 10 folders or files at a time because of the way the html is structured.

HOWEVER: when you try to actually download a PDF, the mobile browser on the Kindle gives a ridiculous error,
Quote:
"Basic Web cannot download this type of file. Only files with the extension .AZW, .PRC, .MOBI or .TXT can be downloaded to your Kindle."
This seems to be an unfortunate and unreasonable limitation, since the DX supports PDF files natively. The SugarSync browser supports a mail option as an alternative to download. That might work but it's going to cost $.15/meg or something on the Amazon side.

I've sent this email to kindledx-feedback@amazon.com and invite others to do the same:

Quote:
Greetings,

I can't believe that the Kindle DX, which is supposed to handle PDF files natively, is unable to download them using the Basic Web Browser. This might have made sense for Kindle 1 and 2, which had no PDF support, but hobbling the Kindle DX like this makes no sense. It makes the Internet into a giant candy store with a big lock on it.

When you try to load a PDF, the mobile browser on the Kindle gives an error, "Basic Web cannot download this type of file. Only files iwth the extension .AZW, .PRC, .MOBI or .TXT can be downloaded to your Kindle."

This is a significant, needless limitation, and I am hoping to hear that this will be updated soon. I have a week left on my evaluation and this is a DEAL BREAKER for me.

Regards,

Matt

Last edited by memobug; 07-02-2009 at 01:40 AM.
memobug is offline   Reply With Quote