View Single Post
Old 10-06-2018, 11:13 AM   #2340
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
After When She Woke, which went downhill but was still decent, I stayed with the feminist theme and listened to Red Clocks by Leni Zumas. Red Clocks was everything I hate in so-called literary fiction: pretentious poppycock dressed up in fancy prose and icky imagery.

The four POV characters are referred to by labels--the biographer, the mender, the daughter, the wife--in their respective chapters (but by names in the other chapters), which is pointlessly annoying. They're all intertwined in a near-future world in which the U.S. has adopted a "personhood" amendment, conferring full legal rights on the unborn. Interesting concept to explore, but horribly executed.

It's only my stubborn streak about finishing a book that got me through this one. I HATED it.

I had planned to listen to The Power by Naomi Alderman next, but I'm rethinking that, since the same reviews that praised Red Clocks praised The Power, and I don't think I can face any more literary claptrap.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote