View Single Post
Old 05-16-2019, 12:36 AM   #79
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I just don't understand the appeal. An ereader doesn't need to exactly replicate the experience of reading a book just like a cell phone doesn't need to replicate the exact experience of using a rotary dial landline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timboli View Post
A really nice ereader, would be softer and hide all but the screen, having the device embedded in a more ascetically pleasing medium.
Most ereaders at this point are basically a screen and nothing else. So they are what you describe. Perhaps the bezel could be made out of the same soft touch plastic the backs tend to be made of. Not sure if there would be a benefit there.

Quote:
You would have a sturdy left and right, that allows holding comfortably and safely with one hand.
I can already hold my reader in one hand much easier than I could ever do so with a mass market or trade paperback. Forgot easily holding a hardback in one hand.

I use a cover where the front folds all the way back so that you are just holding the reader.

Quote:
Most of all, a book, paperback at least, has a nice artwork (color) cover and a title on the spine
Color e-ink would be nice. Otherwise, on the Kobo at least, the cover is the device's sleep screen. So I see the cover about as often as I did when reading paperbacks.

Quote:
and a title on the spine
The title on the spine I don't consider a benefit. It was mainly useful for finding the book on a bookcase. With my reader I can just search the title from among the hundreds to thousands of books stored on a device that weighs less than a single paperback.

Quote:
with a blurb on the back, or inside flap of a hardcover.
I've discussed being able to read the synopsis enough in this thread. I won't bore you again.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 05-16-2019 at 12:42 AM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote