View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008, 03:08 PM   #13
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
yeah. i suppose you probably have to have working usb ports for that though. *sigh*.

yes, it's probably the driver. i think it's actually a windows driver i need, not a hardware driver (plus, if it were a hardware driver, i'd have to figure out which current part came from where, since i've changed the insides bit by bit probably several times over in the past few years). i've found the solution that ended up working for me last time (thank god for bookmarks...), and i present it for your edification and possible future need. after all the insane variations including going so far as to edit the registry (i didn't actually do that one), the one that worked was :
- shut down computer
- unplug computer
- push and hold power button for about 30 seconds
- plug computer back in and reboot.

alternately, unplug the computer and leave it unplugged for about 15 minutes. it resets the reptile brain of the computer, or something.

if that doesn't work, and the problem doesn't magically go away over night (you never know. after all, it "magically" appeared sometime this afternoon, since everything was working this morning), i'm not even going to bother with it. as i said, i'm upgrading everything in the next week or so and i'll have to reinstall the system and everything then, and given that that is possibly my least favorite activity in the WORLD, i'm not going to torture myself with even more installations ahead of time. it can only go to hell in a handbasket for a few more days anyway.

thanks though for the suggestions.
Not necessarily. Most of the time the USB ports are either a part of the motherboard, or they are on a separate card. If you are talking about a laptop, then the manufacturer of the laptop probably has the drivers for the mobo as well.

However, you are correct in that often it's just a matter of the drivers being a part of windows. In which case, you can pop into your control panel and see if the usb ports are listed and if there is a ? next to them. Sometimes, if you just uninstall them from your hardware profile, and start up your computer again, it will reinstall them when you next boot up.

It's worth a try anyway.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote