View Single Post
Old 05-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #6
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
I use Linux, Ubuntu. I have my calibre library on a Synology NAS, and I use NFS to mount the NAS folders. Works perfectly. To improve performance I have placed Metadata.db on a local SSD, using a symlink.

I moved metadata.db to a folder on the SSD and created a symlink to metadata.db where metadata.db was originally. Works great. I have changed the script that start calibre so that when calibre is terminated metadata.db is copied to the NAS, so I have a backup.

But there are many opportunities for problems, if I had used SMB instead my calibre library would have been corrupted quickly because problems with how the filesystems is or isn't case sensitive.

If you feel that you don't know for sure what is safe, keep the calibre library on a local filesystem. Use the NAS as a backup media, and run backup automatically after you quit calibre. Edit the script that launch calibre. But it is possible to mess that up as well, if the case sensitivity of the NAS filesystem is different from the local filesystem.

I belive that if you use Windows, then a SMB or CIFS share on the NAS works ok. If you use Linux, then a NFS share works ok. If you run a Mac then I don't know...

But no guarantees, test carefully before you trust anyone or anything.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote