View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010, 01:36 PM   #10
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
These kinds of statistics, while most likely accurate, tend to be somewhat misleading.

For example, ebooks are still a very small slice of the pie. In 2009, ebook sales by 13 major publishers "jumped" by 175% overall.... but that actually means an increase from around $95 million in sales to $170 million, or from 1.2% of the market to 3.3%.

So, does a "175% increase" sound impressive when you're talking about $170m out of approximately $5 billion in sales...?

Plus, as ebooks continue to be adopted, you will see the "percentage of increase" go down even as the actual revenue numbers significantly increase. I.e. a 20% increase may not sound as big as a 175% jump, but if it's on $500 million in sales, that's an increase of $100 million.

So while I don't doubt the numbers per se, I do toss a little salt over my shoulder when I read stuff like this.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote