View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #79
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
And judging by the absence of recommendations of 'Foundation' and the like so far, I'm guessing others had a similar interpretation.
It's so funny that you mention this, because the Foundation series is one of those that always comes to mind when I think about what men prefer vs. women prefer (on average, stereotypically, whatever) in science fiction.

I read those so long ago, I can't even remember how I picked them up. I found the concepts in the first couple books interesting enough, but incredibly dry. I remember feeling I just couldn't care anything about any of the characters because they weren't there for you to care about, only to prove the concepts.

It wasn't until - was it "Prelude to Foundation"? - where the book focused on one generation and spent more time with the individuals that I really enjoyed the books, rather than just found them interesting conceptually.

I read a lot of science fiction as a teenager. Switched to mysteries in my twenties. Read a lot romance all through.

I prefer my stories to be character-driven, whatever the genre, and more interested in how the events unfolding in the books affect the characters, rather than books that seem to focus on the STUFF (magic, spaceships, whatever).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote