View Single Post
Old 09-17-2019, 01:34 PM   #55
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
With my current book I decided to read on a Paperwhite and sync with the Kindle app on my phone when I'm away from the house. I did that till today when I was away for the first time and did a few minutes reading on my phone. Now I'm not sure I'll go back to the Paperwhite for this book.
Barry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Quite a few people just read on their smartphones or tablets. They don't seem to care about LCD vs LED vs eInk. Their phones work just fine, especially since the trend is toward larger phones these days.

Interest in eInk devices is definitely waning.
eInk readers are at a point where nothing truly innovative is occurring. I think they pushed eInk screens as far as they can. The only thing we see these days is slight incremental improvement. Once Apple came out with Retina screens on their iPhones and iPads, I quickly migrated to them as my primary reading devices for eBooks. The Kindles have never had a decent lighted version in my opinion. The lights have improved a bit, but no breakthrough has occurred. The lighted Kindles still have a degraded screen due to the light layer, and they still have crappy LEDs that cast shadows and blue tints. I realize the new O3 claims to have a yellowish tint, but photos I've seen of it look like someone peed on it! Too yellow. Yuk!!! Even though I own an older Kindle 8th generation without the light and a new Kindle 10th generation with light, I only use them occasionally. The screen on the K10 just isn't that good, but it is okay for some reading. I mostly use it when outdoors in brighter light. But to be honest, the K10 is super slow and the battery drains nearly as fast as a tablet. After using the iPhone and iPad, it is frustrating to use the K10 due to its sluggishness. Bottom line is that unless I'm outside in bright light, I will use my iPhone or iPad, so the Kindles mostly collect dust. I do stick with Amazon since they have a large bookstore and great apps for smartphones and tablets. But their Kindles are just not that good any more. Maybe if they got rid of the Special Offers and kept the prices lower, but eInk is only so good, and that means it isn't very good at all.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote