View Single Post
Old 12-10-2006, 12:57 AM   #1
Azimuthal
Azimuthal began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-500
Thoughts about my sony reader

I love the concept behind the sony reader, as i'm currently serving in the navy, I don't always have access to paper copies of books i would like to read. After owning it only about a week and a half, i've gone through several classics that i acquired through gutenberg.org/manybooks.net.

Today i wanted to see what type of selection sony's connect service offered. I was very dissapointed, not only because there were very few books i was interested in, but also because they were, in most cases, equal in price or MORE EXPENSIVE than their paper counterparts (via amazon.com). this really amazed me, how does sony expect to create a market here? do any of you actually pay these prices? I know that i'm in a unique situation where it is actually worthwhile to have electronic versions of these books, but for the rest of you, what gives? do you just really love new technology? Surely you would prefer reading a paperbook than a 6 inch flashy screen?

I have several hundred ebooks on my computer -- many of which i can't read using sony reader because of format issues. Sure, the sony reader can display pdf, but don't expect to be able to read it. Also images present such a pain it's really not worth it. I'm really saddened by this product, i know sony could have done better making the software on the reader and also the connect software/website.

So if you're reading this, and you haven't bought one yet. research what you're buying, take a look at sony's connect site and ask to use one in store. if you plan to read a lot of gutenberg stuff i suppose this *might* be worth the price, but otherwise...
Azimuthal is offline   Reply With Quote