View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 10:46 PM   #295
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
No, I'm saying that the cost depends. How much should it cost to paint my house? Unless you know a fair bit about my house and what I was looking for, you can't answer that with any accuracy and if you tried to give me a set figure without that information, I sure as heck am not going to hire you.
We were talking about some Azimov books which are pretty standard linear fiction and aren't overly long, not every possible type of book under the sun.

Quote:
Great, you have a scan where you are happy with the results. Would I be happy with the results? I wouldn't know unless I actually look at them. Would some of the super picky types here be happy with the results? Same answer.
And I could care less if it's up to you or anyone else's standards since I'm not selling it, but I'm picky enough to be someone who's complained to publishers and hounded them to fix things in the past and as someone who formats print media for a living if I'm not picky then there's trouble. I only mentioned my project to bring some actual numbers into the discussion (of a project I though of as similar in size & type to some Azimov pulp) and ask where you got your knowledge that nabsltd was so grossly wrong.

Quote:
I also find that the books I'm interested in scanning tend to be rather longer than the old 200 page pulp novels.
Which is fine, but isn't the old pulp the type of book were were specifically talking about here?

Quote:
Do you scan 500+ ebooks a year? That's what we are actually talking about. A commercial ebook scanner that scans and edits ebooks day in and day out, not someone who does it on an occasional basis for fun.
No, because I work on the print side of things. Doesn't mean I don't know basic workflows and techniques for the other side of things. A commercial ebook scanner should be better and have a workflow developed over time that makes them more efficient than a hobbiest. Kind of like when I build a website. I know what to do, but don't do it every day so I'll have issues someone currently in the field wouldn't that will cause it to take me longer and be less efficient at it.

When you said that he had grossly underestimated the time and effort to produce a professional quality ebook it just sound authoritative to me so I thought you had more info that I could learn from. I'm somewhat interested in the industry and only asked because I thought I might learn something more.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote